Friday, January 4, 2008

Winter Storm






So, a few hours ago we were in Ontario getting some groceries at Walmart when we smelled smoke and then all the lights flickered and went out. I think everyone panicked, because suddenly the checkout lines were horrendously long (and slow). The lights did come back on and when we got outside it was so windy that I could barely push the cart to our car. Trav and I were both pretty bummed that we never got to see the source of that smoke, but something was definitely on fire.

Due to that delay, Trav was going to be late for work so Andrew and I dropped him off before going home. A little while ago Trav let me know that the highway has been closed this side of Pendleton, OR due to NINE semi-trucks that had already overturned due to high winds, and they had window & body damage from wind-driven airborne rocks. Seriously, check out these pics! It's one of those things that you've got to see to believe. No snow, no ice, no rain.... just wind. That FedEx truck picture made me cringe. I especially enjoyed the "View Point" picture. You don't see a view like that too often.

Well, here's hoping that this storm doesn't get too bad. It sounds like it's hailing outside right now. At least we stocked up on water & groceries today! :)

1 comment:

Kari said...

Oh my gosh, that's scary. We've had bad wind here and our roof is paying for it. I just want our Kicker refund to get here so we can pay for the roof to be fixed. I hope you guys stay safe, warm, and fed!