Saturday, June 9, 2007

I Miss Alaska








Last night I was cleaning up my internet "favorites" on our computer and ran across a link to adn.com, but I wasn't sure what it was. When I clicked on it I was taken to the website for the Anchorage Daily News, where my eyes were drawn to a link for pictures submitted by readers. Heh, heh, heh... I'm a little embarassed to admit this because I had better things to be doing, but for the next two hours I just clicked from one picture to the next as memory after memory came back to me and I found myself giggling and terribly homesick, asking myself why I haven't made it a priority to take Travis and Andrew there for a visit.











I miss those sunsets!













I miss those overcast summer days when it seemed like the only colors that existed were blue, green, and yellow. And the next picture...yes, that baby moose is eating a frozen pumpkin (I just love the 10" or so of snow that had fallen on top of it since Halloween).





Whenever I meet new people and they find out that I grew up in Alaska, they always say the same thing, "Wow Travis! I bet you've been there a lot then?" (or something like that) I usually think to myself that they obviously don't realize how much it costs to go to Alaska, nor how much time you have to get off work in order to make the expense worth it. I haven't been there since February of 1999 (and no, Travis has never been there), but after seeing all those pictures I am SO aching to go back.

Here's one of my most favorite places - on the coastal trail looking at downtown Anchorage.



I thought I'd post some of the pictures on here - the ones that especially made me wish I could be back there. I still can't get the hang of how to get the pictures to sit where I want them, so I hope they're not too jumbled. Oh, and Andrew says that the baby moose running through the sprinkler is his favorite (though I'm a little partial to the moose staring down the car in the parking lot).

Mmmmm... and I really, really miss the northern lights!!

1 comment:

Kari said...

These pictures are great! I wish we could have stayed longer in Alaska. And, I don't believe we got the full extent of it because we didn't go in winter. Oh well. It was still GORGEOUS!