Saturday, November 28, 2009

Ah.... Thanksgiving!







This Thanksgiving was very different from those of years past, as it was the first one ever where we stayed home and celebrated the holiday together - just the four of us. We wished we could have shared it with more family, but it just wasn't meant to be.

The Tuesday before Thanksgiving we went to the elementary school for Andrew's kindergarten Thanksgiving program where he was dressed as an indian. It was done so well and he did such a great job! It really got us into the Thanksgiving spirit. As you can see in the video above his part was, "I am a little Indian boy, I hunt with arrow and bow. If I see a turkey in the woods, swoosh! my arrow will go!"

We were truly blessed with a great Thanksgiving turkey and all the trimmings we wanted. We were especially thrilled by the rolls and pies that turned out perfectly! It was my first time making the turkey and I'm embarrassed to say that when we were preparing it we searched and searched for the giblets but couldn't find them (all we found was the neck), so we assumed that they perhaps forgot to put them in. And guess what we discovered when we started to carve the turkey?!?! Ick!!! So nasty, but at least the turkey turned out great! Trav even made gravy from the drippings! I was SO impressed!!! Andrew loved the food..... okay, he loved the olives, mashed potatoes, and rolls. We had a great conversation at the table talking about all the things we're grateful for and then spent the evening relaxing together by the fire. What a special holiday!!!

3 comments:

Keith and Family said...

Your meal looks delicious. Now I'm feeling hungry! Sounds like you had a great holiday.

Winter mama said...

Your table look so wonderful. You always are being a good cook.I'm glad you guys had a great thanksgiving.

Mr. Thompson and Me said...

Okay - totally laughing about the "surprise". We had the same issue as it was the first turkey my brother cooked (which he did frozen) and didn't know that there was something inside.

We found it at carving.

Gross!

Kudos to you for pulling it off though. Great job!